Saturday, August 17, 2019

The power of YET!!!!

One of my goals this year is to help my students begin their growth mindset journey. It is truly a new way of thinking and believing in yourself! Our first growth mindset lesson focused on the power of YET! I read the story Giraffes Can’t Dance to the class and we discussed how the main character never gave up, continued to practice, and worked hard in order to reach a goal. I also explained to the class that if we change our words we can change our minds. There will be no more “I Can’t” in our classroom this year. Instead, we will encourage each other to say “I Can’t YET! 

After the read aloud and discussion, students engaged in a writing activity where they celebrated 3 things they can do really well and then shared something they can’t do just YET! Each student also made a cute giraffe handprint craft to represent Gerald the main character in our book.








No comments:

Post a Comment